Monday, March 23, 2009

Mexico city, Cuenavaca and Tepoztlan!

Alright pornstars, who´s ready for another palpitating episode of Mexico to the Amazon!

Well I found out today that my research post in the Peruvian amazon (near Puerto Malcado) is pretty much the place where Che Guevera started his odyssey down the amazon on a paddle steamer. Not to compare his odssey with mine, but good to know I´m not the first to push this boundary.
It´s another warm and sunny day in the heart of Mexico, I´m about 50kms outside Mexico city at the moment, but sometimes depending on wind direction the pollution can make you feel like you smack bang in the middle of the overly inhabited city. After leaving Guadalajara with my couch surfing buddies (there were 9 of us travelling together) we took in Mexico city be it very briefly, saw the majestic pyramids of Teotihuacan, and then took the road south to Cuenavaca. Cuenavaca must hold the record for creating more bottle necks than the coca cola factory, the traffic here is insurmountable for only 300,000 people. Traffic aside, its a really cool place to explore excellent sites nearby. So far I´ve seen Xochicalco, an ancient city from 350 to 600 A.D and the kicker was that I pretty much had the place to myself. Just me and a nice guy from Tokyo, who as per usual was only in the country for 3 days and then back to Japan to start working again. When I said I was travelling until July he almost gagged!
I´ve taken in the exquiste caves del grutas, they are seriously the best thing I´ve seen under the soil and believe me I´ve seen a few. Stretching 1.5 kms into the base of a mountain and reaching heights of 82 metres you kind of get the feeling of insignificance in comparison to mother nature. I will try and post some photos in the coming days, they are magnificent! Ahora en vive Tepoztlan, yes my spanish still sux even after taking two 4 hour lessons. Seriously though I´m staying in a great small hippey like town called Tepoztlan. I´ve been really lucky to stay with a Mexican family here and if they keep feeding me this awesome Mexican tucker I just may never leave. I´ve said this a few times out loud now, ´the best way to get inside a culture is through the palate´. So if this was to be taken literally, I know just about all there is to know about Mexico already. The Mexican food we eat back home and even in the states is rubbish!

Dispelling gringo mis-conceptions on Mexican food, part one.
Tacos are not ready baked
Refried beans are not in everything
I have not seen a burrito
Mild chilli why bother!

I have always thought it would be nice to find a place that put chilli on everything, and by crickey I have most certainly found it! How about a chilli coffee, or is your beer boring? Lets put chilli on the rim of your glass! Ok thats enough of the odyssey for now, next time I write I will be in one of the best colonial cities in Mexico, Oaxaca. This place sounds exciting, and coming from a natural perspective, is home to one of the biggest trees in the world, 11 metre girth WOW!
adios pornstars.

Odyssey out.

No comments:

Post a Comment