Monday, March 9, 2009

Mexico The start of an odyssey

Introduction to the Odyssey

I chose the word odyssey to describe my endeavous because thats what I feel sums it up best. The word odyssey is derived from a greek hero Odysseus and his long journey home following the fall of Troy. It takes Odysseus ten years to reach Ithaca after the ten-year Trojan war. Alright so I know what you are thinking my god he is comparing himself to an ancient greek hero (what a wanker). I am no hero, although does it make it more credible that I have been to Troy and hungout in the giant horse? Jokes aside, the comparison lies within the feelings that even Odysseus must have had thousands of years ago arriving to a new place apprehension, wonder, excitement, doubt, bewilderment and so on. These feelings are of an ancient making but live still within each and every one of us as we pass through our own journeys big or small.

Mexico is a place that conguers up thoughts of ancient civilizations on their own odysseys through unfamiliar lands most likely in search of food, water or even glory. Not to mention the hard work in building humungus pyramids the size of small modern day sky scrappers.
I'm not here to build a pyramid or even to walk in the aztecs' shoes (although I may try to learn some of the ancient Nahuatl language), I'm here to experience the basic feelings and wonders that have stood strong through time when even great civilizations have failed. It's hard to describe how intense your own thoughts are when you are on the road, the smallest thing can set your mind into places you seldom go. Here inlies the challenge of being a world citizen, daily you are confronted with a seemingly easy and uncomplicated lifestyle, but you ask anyone who has lived the transient existence independently for even a short time and they will tell of the intense feelings of highs and lows, both connection and disconnection. Whilst these emotions are strong and sometimes uncomfortable, to not experience them would be like not tasting a ripe avacado at the height of its goodness. Why the avacado in the metaphor? Because it was a good change from an apple and they are native to Mexico. All told they produce over one billion kilos of avacado each year. Here is the best part though, Mexico only exports 5% of one billion kilo of avacodo annually, do the math thats alot of guacamole staying here in Mexico.

So this blog is gonna be a little deep for some, perhaps not deep enough for others but be assured it will be truth. I wont write about everything, hell I might decide to write about nothing but when I do write it will be from my heart and sometimes even worth reading.

Odyssey out.

No comments:

Post a Comment